Reviving Old New YorkNovember 2, 2018
Tenant Poets Corner: There Is TomorrowNovember 16, 2018
We love this time of year because that means getting cozy with a cup of hot chocolate! Nothing beats a rich cup of hot cocoa. Here’s our go-to recipe for making hot chocolate from scratch for the ultimate sweet indulgence.
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 cups half-and-half or 1 cup whole milk plus 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces bittersweet (60% cacao) chocolate, broken into small pieces or chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the cornstarch and salt, and whisk in the milk and cream until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Bring the mixture just to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly, then reduce the heat and slowly simmer it, whisking frequently 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Let it rest for 1 minute then whisk the mixture until chocolate is melted and liquid is smooth.
- Whisk in the cocoa and the vanilla, and if necessary, reheat it over medium-low heat until hot.